From Adam to Noah
- Adam was 130 years old when Seth was born; Adam lived to be 930 years old. (5:3-5)
God never intended for humans to die; had Adam and Eve not disobeyed, they would’ve lived forever. There’s a profound sadness at Adam’s death for it reminds us not just of his mortality, but our own.
- Seth became the father of Enosh at 105 years of age; Seth lived to be 912 years old. (5:6-8)
- Enosh was 90 years old when he had Kenan; Enosh lived to be 905 years old. (5:9-11)
- Kenan became the father of Mahalalel at the age of 70; Kenan lived to be 910 years old. (5:12-14)
- Mahalalel was 65 years old when he had Jared; Mahalalel lived to be 895 years old. (5:15-17)
- Jared became the father of Enoch at the age of 162; Jared lived to be 962 years old. (5:18-20)
- Enoch was 65 years old when he had Methuselah. (5:21)
Enoch walked faithfully with God; then he was no more because God took him away.Genesis 5: 24 NIV
Enoch lived in close relationship with God for 365 years, aside from him, Elijah would be the only other human that never experienced death because God took them away. This serves as a reminder that there’s life in God’s presence after our physical bodies have died.
- Methuselah became the father of Lamech at the age of 187; Methuselah lived to be 969 years old. (5:25-27)
- Lamech was 182 years old when he had Noah; Lamech lived to be 777 years old. (5:28-31)
- Noah became the father of Shem, Ham and Japheth after the age of 500.
He named him Noah and said, “He will comfort us in the labor and painful toil of our hands caused by the ground the LORD has cursed.Genesis 5:20 NIV
Noah goes on to become the savior of the human race when everyone else is living promiscuous lives, he is righteous in the eyes of God. But we’ll dive into Noah in Genesis 6.
In the mean time, let me know what you think about the lives of all these man… I’d like to add to remember that those specific man are not the others’ first children nor their last. They had children prior to and after, the men mentioned here are the ones that directly led from Adam to Noah, at which point the other children of the men had populated the earth.
Thanks for reading!